Fall is the harvest season and farmers’ markets and stores are bringing in the bounty from nearby fields and orchards. Colorful apples, pears, and squash offer distinctive flavors of the season, which marks the perfect time to incorporate these flavorful and fiber-rich fruits and vegetables into meals and snacks. Appropriately, the month of September is Fruits and Veggies- More Matters Month.
Americans are not consuming enough fruits and veggies in their diet. According to research, only 1 in 3 adults eat the recommended amount of fruit every day, and only 1 in 4 adults eat the recommended amount of vegetables every day. The recommended fruit and vegetable servings per day for adults is 5-9. A typical serving is a ½ cup for fruit and 1 cup for vegetables.
A diet high in fiber, low in sugar and processed food, lowers the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and even certain kinds of cancer. It also helps fight against obesity and high blood pressure. So what’s stopping you from putting more of what matters on your plate?
The Fruits and Veggies- More Matters Month enables health professionals and families around the country to encourage one another and help spread the word of the importance of fruits and vegetables in your daily diet.
Be apart of the movement, and get involved!
How You Can Make A Difference
There are a ton of exciting things happening in communities around the country, and you can help! Here are a few small ways you can be apart of the “More Matters” effort.
- Keep fruits and veggies in your home, and add them to your meals any chance you get. Click here for some great recipes!
- If you’re pressed for time and don’t have time to cook veggies for dinner, try canned vegetables. Canned vegetables are better than none, they have the same nutritional value, and are precooked!
- Consume fruits/veggies in any form you can. Raw, prepackaged, frozen, juiced, roasted, or grilled. They all count!
- Spread the word about programs that support local agriculture. Here is a great website to view your community’s efforts.
- Talk to local restaurants, grocery stores, and other businesses about providing more quality meals for both kids and adults made with more fruits and veggies.
- Tweet, post on Facebook, or write in your blog about the benefits of consuming more fruits and veggies.
- Host an event and invite everyone you know to learn more about the importance of fruits and vegetables.
- Carry the new habits you make this month into the remainder of your life!
To learn more visit www.fruitsandveggiesmorematter.org. Let’s join forces and make this the best Fruits and Veggies- More Matters Month Yet. Comment below to share with us the ways you plan to take action with Fruits and Vegetables – More Matters Month.